Wood – The Only Major Renewable Building Material
With zero deforestation, more original forest, protected forest and third-party certified forest than any other country in the world, an excellent track record in recycling and greenhouse gas emissions reductions and some of the toughest forest management regulations in the world, our customers can be assured that when they are buying from Canada they are making a very responsible environmental choice.
While Canada shares stewardship of the boreal forest with other boreal nations, including Russia, Scandinavia, and the United States, it is a vital part of Canada’s environmental, economic and social landscape. If all countries of the world could eliminate or virtually eliminate deforestation as Canada has done, this would have an impact comparable to eliminating fossil fuel emissions in the United States in terms of advancing GHG mitigation efforts.
- Rate of deforestation = 0
- World leading forestry practice
- Canada is home to 30% of the world’s boreal forest
- 93% of Canada’s forests are publicly owned and regulated
- Canada retains more (91%) original forest area than any other country in the world
- Only one quarter of Canada’s forests are managed for commercial use
- Canada has more protected forest (over 40 million hectares) than any other country
- Canada has the most certified forests in the world
- Canada’s forest products industry is a global leader in climate change mitigation