Job Posting – Manager Sustainability, Codes and Engineering
VP Codes and Engineering
Canadian Wood Council (CWC) represents the Canadian wood products industry through a national alliance of leading industry associations. CWC’s mission is to expand market access and increase demand for Canadian wood products through codes, standards, regulations, education, and promotion. You can learn more about us and our work at www.cwc.ca.
You are an environmental professional with a proactive personality that takes ownership for your work, aspiring to use your expertise in a dynamic organization committed to making a big impact in the market.
- Responsible for strategic building code and standards initiatives related to sustainability and the forest products industry. Work will revolve around carbon accounting, LCA, EPDs, circular economy, energy performance of buildings, building science, and durability while also considering resiliency.
- Developing new design tools and content for publications and delivery of end products through seminars and media to targeted audiences including engineers, architects, building officials and builders.
- Ability to apply your excellent understanding of sustainability and environmental issues, including carbon accounting, LCA and EPD metrics, and the circular economy, with your knowledge of wood as a building material.
- A strong understanding of wood building construction, including light frame and mass timber, as well as an understanding of other construction types and materials including concrete and steel.
- Graduate-level degree in ‘Environmental Studies’, ‘Environment and Sustainability’, ‘Natural Resources and Environmental Studies’, ‘Environmental Design’, or ‘Environmental Engineer’ (or equivalent), or an undergraduate degree with appropriate experience.
To succeed as the Manager Sustainability and within the Codes and Engineering team you will have:
- A science-based understanding of the environmental impact of material and energy flows and product systems.
- Related experience in structural engineering, architecture, building science, or construction.
- An understanding of the material and behavioral properties of wood
- Experience with the codes or standards development process (examples: NBC, NECB, ASTM, ISO, CSA).
- Experience, accreditation, and/or familiarity with green building assessment and whole-building LCA tools.
- Understanding of issues related to the forest carbon cycle, biodiversity, and ecosystem services.
- Strong communication skills both written and oral in English.
- An ability to work in French (an asset).
Working at CWC
This is a full‐time position located in Ottawa. You will be required to travel within North America and potentially internationally. We offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, a comprehensive benefit package including medical, dental, and a defined contribution pension plan.
Interested in Applying?
At CWC we are committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We celebrate it within our team and believe that our different backgrounds and experiences make us stronger. With every person we hire, we aim to add to a culture where everyone is valued and all employees can grow in our team-oriented organization.
Interested candidates should apply in confidence to [email protected] by June 27, 2022.
We sincerely thank all applicants for their interest but only those under consideration will be contacted.