2022-23 Wood Design & Building Award Winners Announced
Ottawa, ON – The Canadian Wood Council has announced the winning projects of the 39th annual Wood Design & Building Awards program. The influential awards program recognizes and celebrates the outstanding work of architectural professionals around the world who achieve excellence in wood design and construction.
A record of 181 nominations from 25 countries were received by the program this year, with 24 winning projects selected from the impressive field of entries. The creative talent of the participating design teams, and the beauty and versatility the wood structures they have created, are transforming the built environment.
The jurors for this year’s awards were:
- Brian Court, Partner at The Miller Hull Partnership
- Susan Fitzgerald, Design Principal at FBM
- Stephan Langevin, Principal at STGM
“The jurors agreed that the winning projects demonstrate skilled applications of wood – from the warm, acoustic enhancement of a concert hall to the transformative adaptive re-use of an old industrial building into a beautiful multi-function space. All the structures were incredibly rich and well crafted,” said Stephane Langevin of STGM, one of this year’s jurors and a celebrated, award-winning architect in his own right.
” We are privileged to honour wood design leaders through the awards program, “says Martin Richard, VP Communications and Marketing at the Canadian Wood Council. “The quality, quantity, and diversity of the project nominations we received this year is inspiring. It also signals a growing architectural interest in renewable biomaterials and the expanded use of wood as a versatile, sustainable, high-performance construction element that offers better outcomes for people and the planet.”
- Churchill Meadows Community Centre and Mattamy Sports Park, Mississauga, Ontario, MJMA Architecture & Design
- Neil Campbell Rowing Centre, St. Catharines, Ontario, MJMA + RAAI
- Lake Muskoka Boathouse, Port Carling, Ontario, Turkel Design
- TUM Campus in the Olympic Park, Munich, Germany, Dietrich | Untertrifaller
- HAUT Amsterdam, Amsterdam, the Netherlands, Team V Architectuur
- Pavilion of Floating Lights, Jinju-si, Korea, JK-AR
- Prince George Fire Hall, Prince George, British Columbia, hcma
- MacLac Building D – Rebirth of An Historic Paint Factory, San Francisco, California, Marcy Wong Donn Logan Architects with PLAD Peter Logan Architecture and Design
- Historians’ library and residence, Cambridge, Ontario, Dowling Architects
- Ombú, Madrid, Spain, Foster + Partners
- Wooden Annex, London, United Kingdom, Tsuruta Architects
- SuperHub Meerstad, Meerstad, the Netherlands, De Zwarte Hond
- Wu Tsai Theater, David Geffen Hall, Lincoln Center, New York, New York, Diamond Schmitt Architects
- Angle of Repose , Algonquin Highlands, Ontario, Reasonable Projects
- Rouyn-Noranda Air Terminal, Rouyn-Noranda, Québec, EVOQ+ARTCAD architects
- Our-Shelves-Houses, Madrid, Spain, SUMA architecture+ Madergia
- Doune Castle: Ardoch Burn Crossing, Stirlingshire, Scotland, UK, Historic Environment Scotland
- Revitalization of the school building Ceskobrodska in Prague into a Smart, Secure, Sustainable, Operation Energy and Carbon Negative Building, Prague, Czech Republic, ECOTEN
JURY’S CHOICE AWARD
- Robotically Fabricated Structure (RFS), Ann Arbor, Michigan, ADR Laboratory, Taubman College of Architecture and Urban Planning, University of Michigan
- San Jacinto College Anderson-Ball Classroom, Pasadena, Texas, Kirksey Architecture
Sustainable Forestry Initiative – Sponsorship Award
- BA Collective Studio, Santa Monica, California, BA Collective
Sansin Sponsorship Award
- KF Centre for Excellence – Okanagan Aerospace & Aviation Museum, Kelowna, British Columbia, Meiklejohn Architects Inc.
Western Red Cedar Sponsorship Award
- House at 9,000 feet, Intermountain Region of the United States, MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects
Wood Preservation Canada Sponsorship Award
- The Monocular, Chester Bay, Nova Scotia, RHAD Architect
The Wood Design & Building Awards and Wood Design & Building magazine are presented by the Canadian Wood Council.
Video GalleryNo videos found in the showcase. Are the videos public?
Click this link to view videos of each projects
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Ioana Lazea, Program Manager, Wood Design & Building Awards | [email protected] | 1-613-747-5544 x 227
The Wood Design & Building Awards Program is proudly sponsored by: